Sunday 27 October 2013

Do What I Like To Do !

Today I decided I was going to leave everything that needs to be done, or started in the way of cleaning, Crabby Cabbie paperwork, organizing, etc and let it all go to Hell in a Handbag, and do what I like to do !

It has been quite a while since I have spent the most part of a day in my kitchen, doing what I like to do, and the Butternut Squash sitting on my counter top for the past couple weeks has been desperately seeking me out, as the Pie Pumpkins still laying out in a muddy garden.

I first googled a method to make Butternut Squash Soup.  This is the one I followed HERE, to make my own.  Instead of using a Peeler, I took my cue from my Auntie Gladys and put the seeded and chunked squash in the mircowave.  After 6 minutes I removed it to cool, then peeling was made Easy Peasy as anything. I then cut the squash into smaller pieces.  After adding chopped onion to the heated olive oil in pot, I placed the squash in afterward, with sliced fresh ginger and garlic following.  I then added a 900 ml carton of Chicken Broth.  I simmered until the squash was thoroughly cooked, then pureed with my handheld immersion blender.


This was the very first time I had attempted to ever make Butternut Squash Soup.

The outcome was an amazing cream soup very agreeable to my liking.  I had purchased a heavy cream to add, but found it was not needed.


Rob did not care for the soup.  This is "okay" as it means there is more for me, and at less then 100 calories per serving this is a very healthy meal as a "stand alone" all on its own.

Once the mess of the Soup making had been cleaned up, I concentrated on the Pie Pumpkins.  First I had to go retrieve a couple from the muddy garden.  Next the dirt had been washed of and seeds scooped out.  I had one almost peeled when Rob took over to give my wrists a break.  

With all the prep done, one pumpkin filled the Crock Pot.  I have added one cup of water and turned it on for 10 hours on LOW.  Who cued my on how to do this method of making my own Pumpkin Puree? that would be my blogger/facebook friend Karen over at Living in My Valley.  Thanks again Karen x .


The Pumpkin Puree method is to be continued tomorrow.

Dinner tonight was nice and easy as I had a Roast Beef cooking most of the day in my other Crock Pot. The Roast Beef along with cooked carrots and turnip was a great Sunday evening meal for the two of us.

Today I had been thinking to myself I should start a list of all my friends.  Right after this thought I stopped in my thought tracks to think again ... I could never possibly create a list of all my friends, as I would be terribly hurt if I would forget one or two, causing myself much grief if I did.

My friends come in all kinds of different packages, and each package is special to me.  How could I list all those specialities?  I would not know where to begin when I really give it some thought.

Today I scanned a photo of Rob and I on our Wedding Day 17 years ago yesterday.  Wow I can see why I married Rob, he was quite the looker in my eyes, which were the only ones that counted 19 years ago when we had our very first date on the 26th of October.  And 17 years later, he is still a looker in my eyes.  Love you Grizzy Bear xo


I am feeling very weary and tired at the moment.  Always lots ahead of me to be done with no changes of this fact tomorrow.  Regardless I did get to enjoy doing what I love doing this day, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

7 comments:

  1. That soup sounds soooo good - love me some butternut squash!! And you are BOTH lookers - and here's to years and years of more happiness!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup looks sooo good!! I'm going to have to try that! I'm getting SOO bored of eating the same thing over & over again. :( I really need to start with the soups, tis the season! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary to the handsome couple. The soup looks delicious. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soup looks wonderful. I just brought in the butternut for the same reason. A desire to have this soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever had squash in a meal...

    Happy Anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good looking couple you made 17 years ago and still make today. Alice

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great tip for peeling butternut squash. It can be so difficult. I'm always afraid I'll cut myself.

    Some days we just need to ditch the "have to dos" and turn to the "want to dos." Happy Anniversary! Thank you for linking with See Ya in the Gumbo. I spent some time out of town w/ family this weekend and we'll have this week's party up Monday night.

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...